The principal educational institution in Greenland is the University of Greenland, Ilisimatusarfik, which was founded and established in the capital of Greenland, Nuuk, in 1987. Since its expansion in 2008, Ilisimatusarfik offers both college and professional studies, although before the university had offered only superior level studies in four different departments: the Department of Administration, the Department of Cultural and Social History, Department of Language, Literature and Media and the Department of Theology. After the extension of the university in 2008 the Department of Social Work and the Department of Journalism were also added within the framework of higher education in the Greenland University.
The University of Greenland was expanded in 2007 with the new building, Ilimmarfik (in the photo above) which is located in the northern part of the Greenlandic capital of Nuuk.
Foreign students at the University of Greenland:
All courses of the careers at this university are given in Danish and Greenlandic, although some courses are taught in English for foreign exchange students. The programs for foreign students at the University of Greenland have a duration of one or two semesters and are offered to students who have already completed at least two years of studies in their home university.
UNIVERSITY OF GREENLAND (Ilisimatusarfik) Information sheetMAILING ADDRESS:
P.O. Box 1061
+299 36 23 00 FAX:
+299 36 23 01 INTERNAL INSTITUTES OF THE UNIVERSITY:
- Institute of Ilimmarfik
- Institute of Learning
- Institute of Nursing and Health Science
- Department of Administration (ILIMMARFIK)
- Department of Cultural and Social History (ILIMMARFIK)
- Department of Language, Literature and Media (ILIMMARFIK)
- Department of Theology (ILIMMARFIK)
- Department of Social Work (ILIMMARFIK)
- Department of Journalism (ILIMMARFIK)
- Department of Teacher training (INSTITUTE OF LEARNING)
- Department of Nursing and Health Science (NURSING AND HEALTH)
- Institute of Arctic Education (INSTITUTE OF LEARNING)